[About our Guides]
[Prices & Booking]
note climbers in middle of picture!
Along with nearby Polar Circus, the Weeping Wall is a contender for the world's most famous ice
climb. Blessed with a variety of lines from grade 4 - grade 6, a 5 minute approach, a sunny aspect,
and virtually no avalanche hazard, the Weeping Wall just can't be beat!
On the 180m Lower Weeping Wall, the Left Hand (WI 4), the Central Pillar (WI5+), and the
Right Hand (WI5) are all excellent and popular climbs. For those with lots of experience and high
energy, the Upper Weeping Wall offers another 180m of sustained vertical, and even slightly overhanging,
WI6 ice climbing. On a very good season, somewhat easier lines may form on the upper wall as well.
Location: Near the Columbia Icefields. Just over 2 hours from Canmore, or 1 hour from Jasper.
Length: 180m - 360m
Grade: WI4 - WI6
Logistics: A good base for climbing in this area is the nearby Rampart Creek Hostel. The Weeping Wall
is also available as a day trip from the Bow Valley or Jasper. The grade 6 routes on the Upper Weeping
Wall are guided with a 1:1 guide to guest ratio only.
Other Nearby Routes
- Polar Circus - WI5, 700m
- Mixed Master - WI5R, 5.8, 180m
- Lady Wilson's Cleavage - WI4, a long canyon climb
- Ice Nine - WI6, 100m
- and literally hundreds more...
Group gear such as ropes and carabiners will be provided by Canadian Rockies Alpine Guides. The personal
gear listed below is mandatory. Please inform us well in advance if you need to borrow any of these items.
Items that are not available for loan must be rented or purchased. Rental and purchase information can
be found here.
- Small Pack (about 30 litres) - available for loan
- Ice Climbing/Mountaineering Boots
- Crampons - available for loan
- 2 Ice Climbing Axes - available for loan
- Harness - available for loan
- Helmet - available for loan
- Winter Jacket or Goretex/Softshell Jacket
- Winter Pants or Goretex/Softshell Pants
- Long Underwear
- Gloves (2 pairs)
- Sunglasses (important!)
- Gaitors (optional but highly recommended)
- Water Bottles (1 or 2 litres)
- Lunch with lots of snacks