[About our Guides]
[Prices & Booking]
Shades of Beauty is the best grade 4 ice climb in the Jasper area. This climb is one of the first to form each season and one of
the last to melt away, it can often be climbed as early as November. A moderate hike in above a scenic canyon and a number of
waterfalls leads to the first pitch. Three nice pitches of climbing with big snow ledges in between make for a great day out
in the mountains. Descent is made by rappeling down beside the route. There are great views of the nearby peaks at the Columbia Icefields.
Location: Between Jasper and the Columbia Icefields. 2.5 hours from Canmore, 45min from Jasper.
Logistics: Jasper or the Rampart Creek Hostel are the best places to base for Shades of Beauty. It can
be done with up to 2 guests.
Other Nearby Routes
- Meltout - WI3, 100m
- Kerkeslin Falls - WI3+, 4 or 5 pitches
- Malign Canyon - WI2 to WI 5 - 20m to 30m
- Curtain Call - WI6, 120m
Group gear such as ropes and carabiners will be provided by Canadian Rockies Alpine Guides. The personal
gear listed below is mandatory. Please inform us well in advance if you need to borrow any of these items.
Items that are not available for loan must be rented or purchased. Rental and purchase information can
be found here.
- Small Pack (about 30 litres) - available for loan
- Ice Climbing/Mountaineering Boots
- Crampons - available for loan
- 2 Ice Climbing Axes - available for loan
- Harness - available for loan
- Helmet - available for loan
- Winter Jacket or Goretex/Softshell Jacket
- Winter Pants or Goretex/Softshell Pants
- Long Underwear
- Gloves (2 pairs)
- Sunglasses (important!)
- Gaitors (optional but highly recommended)
- Water Bottles (1 or 2 litres)
- Lunch with lots of snacks