[About our Guides]
[Prices & Booking]
Evan Thomas Creek Blog postings:
These two excellent ice climbs are located side by side up Evans Thomas Creek in Kananaskis Country. Most years Moonlight Falls
is the fatter but much steeper line, while Snowline, on the right, is usually thin and technical. Climbing one or both of these
routes is an excellent introduction to grade 4 ice climbing. Best of all, there is no avalanche hazard in this area so
these climbs can be completed almost any day of the winter! A grade 3 climb known as Chantilly Falls is along the approach and makes
an excellent warm up on the way in.
Location: Kananaskis Country. 45 minutes from Canmore, or just over 1 hour from Calgary.
Length: 100m (each)
Logistics: Canmore, Alberta is the best place to base out of for all climbing in the Kananaskis area.
Other Nearby Routes
- King Creek - WI3, 20m - numerous lines
- Kidd Falls - WI4, 55m
- Whiteman Falls - WI6, 95m
- Red Man Soars - WI5, 5.10, 55m - excellent mixed climb!
- and dozens more...
Group gear such as ropes and carabiners will be provided by Canadian Rockies Alpine Guides. The personal
gear listed below is mandatory. Please inform us well in advance if you need to borrow any of these items.
Items that are not available for loan must be rented or purchased. Rental and purchase information can
be found here.
- Small Pack (about 30 litres) - available for loan
- Ice Climbing/Mountaineering Boots
- Crampons - available for loan
- 2 Ice Climbing Axes - available for loan
- Harness - available for loan
- Helmet - available for loan
- Winter Jacket or Goretex/Softshell Jacket
- Winter Pants or Goretex/Softshell Pants
- Long Underwear
- Gloves (2 pairs)
- Toque or Balaclava
- Gaitors (optional but highly recommended)
- Water Bottles (2 litres)
- Lunch with lots of snacks