[About our Guides]
[Prices & Booking]
Cascade falls is undoubtably the most looked at climb in the Rockies and is obvious to everyone as they drive by the
turnoff to Banff on the Trans-Canada Highway. It is an excellent climb that gets lots of sun, is a few pitches long,
and offers moderate climbing throughout. This route has been hundreds of ice climbers first multipitch climb and is
justifiably popular. The climb lies in a large avalanche path so it is only safe during periods of good snow stability, but if
the snow conditions don't allow an ascent of Cascade, there are lots of other great climbs in the area to do too!
Location: Banff, Alberta. 15 minutes from Canmore.
Logistics: Canmore is a great place to base out of for climbing in the area.
Up to 2 guests can join a guide for an ascent of Cascade Falls.
Other Nearby Ice Routes
- Proffessor Falls - WI4, 280m
- Grotto Canyon - WI3 & 4, 20m - 55m
- Louise Falls - WI4+, 110m
- and literally hundreds more...
Ice Climbing Gear List
Group gear such as ropes and carabiners will be provided by Canadian Rockies Alpine Guides. The personal
gear listed below is mandatory. Please inform us well in advance if you need to borrow any of these items.
Items that are not available for loan must be rented or purchased. Rental and purchase information can
be found here. Please feel free to e-mail or call with any questions about
gear to bring or purchase, we are happy to help you come well prepared.
- Small Pack (about 30 litres) - available for loan
- Ice Climbing/Mountaineering Boots
- Crampons - available for loan
- 2 Ice Climbing Axes - available for loan
- Harness - available for loan
- Helmet - available for loan
- Winter Jacket or Goretex/Softshell Jacket
- Winter Pants or Goretex/Softshell Pants
- Long Underwear
- Gloves (2 pairs)
- Toque or Balaclava
- Gaitors (optional but highly recommended)
- Water Bottles (2 litres)
- Lunch with lots of snacks