[About our Guides]
[Prices & Booking]
Along with nearby Polar Circus, the Weeping Wall is a contender for the world's most famous ice
climb. With a 5 minute approach, a sunny aspect, and virtually no avalanche hazard, the Weeping Wall just can't be beat!
After climbing a route on the Lower Weeping Wall the Upper Weeping Wall's Weeping Pillar route offers another 180m of sustained vertical, and even slightly overhanging, WI6 ice climbing. On a very good season, somewhat easier lines may form on the upper wall as well.
Location: Near the Columbia Icefields. Just over 2 hours from Canmore, or 1 hour from Jasper.
Logistics: A good base for climbing in this area is the nearby Rampart Creek Hostel. The Weeping Wall
is also available as a long day trip from the Bow Valley or Jasper. Guided with a 1:1 guide to guest ratio only unless
both guests have lots of experience on hard ice.
Other Nearby Routes
- Polar Circus - WI5, 700m
- Mixed Master - WI5R, 5.8, 180m
- Lady Wilson's Cleavage - WI4, a long canyon climb
- Ice Nine - WI6, 100m
- and literally hundreds more...
Group gear such as ropes and carabiners will be provided by Canadian Rockies Alpine Guides. The personal
gear listed below is mandatory. Please inform us well in advance if you need to borrow any of these items.
Items that are not available for loan must be rented or purchased. Rental and purchase information can
be found here.
- Small Pack (about 30 litres) - available for loan
- Ice Climbing/Mountaineering Boots
- Crampons - available for loan
- 2 Ice Climbing Axes - available for loan
- Harness - available for loan
- Helmet - available for loan
- Winter Jacket or Goretex/Softshell Jacket
- Winter Pants or Goretex/Softshell Pants
- Long Underwear
- Gloves (2 pairs)
- Sunglasses (important!)
- Gaitors (optional but highly recommended)
- Water Bottles (1 or 2 litres)
- Lunch with lots of snacks