[About our Guides]
[Prices & Booking]
Polar Circus Blog postings:
The one and only Polar Circus is likely the most famous frozen waterfall ice climb in the world, and rightly so! This massive climb
starts just 5 minutes from the road and consists of pitch, after pitch, after pitch, of progressively harder ice climbing.
Five hundred meters of grade 3 to grade 5 ice is climbed as well as two hundred meters of snow slopes. Polar Circus is
a favourite of almost everyone who scales it and is not to be missed by those with the skill and endurance to ascend this
grand route. Descent is made by rappeling back down the route.
Location: Near the Columbia Icefields. Just over 2 hours from Canmore, or 1 hour from Jasper.
Length: 700m !!!
Logistics: A good base for climbing in this area is the nearby Rampart Creek Hostel. Polar circus is guided
with a 1:1 guide to guest ratio only.
Other Nearby Routes
- Weeping Wall - WI4 - WI5+, 180m
- Weeping Pillar - WI6, 350m
- Mixed Master - WI5R, 5.8, 180m
- Lady Wilson's Cleavage - WI4, a long canyon climb
- Ice Nine - WI6, 100m
- and literally hundreds more...
Group gear such as ropes and carabiners will be provided by Canadian Rockies Alpine Guides. The personal
gear listed below is mandatory. Please inform us well in advance if you need to borrow any of these items.
Items that are not available for loan must be rented or purchased. Rental and purchase information can
be found here. Please feel free to e-mail or call with any questions about
gear to bring or purchase, we are happy to help you come well prepared.
- Small Pack (about 30 litres) - available for loan
- Ice Climbing/Mountaineering Boots
- Crampons - available for loan
- 2 Ice Climbing Axes - available for loan
- Harness - available for loan
- Helmet - available for loan
- Winter Jacket or Goretex/Softshell Jacket
- Winter Pants or Goretex/Softshell Pants
- Long Underwear
- Gloves (2 pairs)
- Toque or Balaclava
- Gaitors (optional but highly recommended)
- Water Bottles (2 litres)
- Lunch with lots of snacks